Aether Architecture «Satellite Algorithms» 2001.
Interactive observation of this virtual entity
A fictional entity called Satellite was created playing out complexity science concepts. It can generate spaces from various algorithmic behaviors.
To enrich the belief of the existence of these satellites, a physical model of it was created, and a film to illustrate its behavior outside the computer. It is a fictional project based on scientific data. Extract from the satellite design decisions:
- Satellite loops that force nonlinear behaviours are self-contained, (holistic), emergent.
- Satellites are responsive to their environment, discovering new behaviours over time - they are innovative.
- Information to communicate across the system causes attractor satellites to form.
- Each satellite evolves separately, giving a diversity in rule or task space.
- Properties of the satellites are affected by the emergent properties of the whole generation - Catastrophes will exist!
- 3 or more satellites may exhibit chaotic dynamics.
- Satellites do not exist in isolation, but are defined only in conjunction with other systems, including that of the observer[designer]. Identify the global optimum.